Catholic Charities of Southeast Texas
“Providing Help and Creating Hope”
HOW TO VOLUNTEER
Please review the following volunteer opportunities and, if interested, complete the Volunteer Application & Background Questionnaire (below) prior to being approved. All approved applicants must review the Ethical & Personal Conduct Policy and Volunteer Manual (links to both are below).
Hospitality Center - (888) 982-4842
- Cooks are expected to arrive by 7:00 a.m. to get everything ready for the meal served at 10:30 a.m. Cooks usually leave by 1:00 p.m., after the meal is served. Cooks must be able to prepare food for as many as 200 people.
- Drivers to pick up donations and deliver them to the Hospitality Center. Drivers with a large vehicle or truck to transport donations is ideal. Drivers must be pre-approved to drive.
- Servers arrive at 10:00 a.m. Lunch is served from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After the meal, servers help clean up. Usually servers are done by 1:00 p.m.
- Data Entry Assistant inputs data into a user friendly computer program. A data entry assistant is needed from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Elijah’s Place - (409) 924-4426
- Volunteer Facilitators foster activities and discussions within the different groups who attend Elijah’s Place. Volunteer facilitators are required to participate in a 20-hour training process. The training process is offered twice a year.
- Licensed Facilitator is the on-site clinical leader and supervisor for Volunteer Facilitation on group nights. The licensed facilitator will provide pre- and post-group briefings and will be available to volunteer facilitators during group meetings. The licensed facilitator must have a master’s degree and state licensure appropriate to their degree in social work, psychology, or education. Licensed facilitators are required to participate in a 20-hour training process. The training process is offered twice a year.
- Kitchen Volunteers help set up and monitor the potluck dinner that is held before Elijah’s Place group meetings. Kitchen volunteers then clean up after the children go to group sessions.
- Intake Volunteers watch children while their parents are in a meeting to prepare for Elijah’s Place. This volunteer must have flexible hours and must be willing to volunteer with little notice.
Disaster Response - (409) 924-4426
- Case Aides assist Case Managers in providing Case Management services to clients. They help with client phone calls and scheduling appointments as needed.
- Greeters insure that all clients sign-in. They also provide information regarding the assistance process and help with crowd control.
- Data Entry Specialists assist the Case Managers and Case Aides with data entry and recordkeeping.
- Phone Volunteers assist Case Aides with answering phone calls and directing voice mail messages to appropriate parties.
- Spanish and Vietnamese Interpreters assist the Disaster Response program with interpreting for Spanish or Vietnamese speaking clients and, if necessary, translating documents into the needed language.
- Disaster Response Volunteers help in different capacities immediately before and after a disaster strikes. Volunteer roles depend on the scope of the disaster and the availability of the volunteers. Trainings will be held periodically to prepare Disaster Response volunteers to respond to different situations.
- Research Specialist Volunteers assist Case Managers in researching different topics of interest. This can be done at home or at the volunteer’s convenience.
Asset Building Case Management - (409) 924-4425
- Facilitators for Financial Education receive training to equip them to deliver a standard curriculum focused on basic financial topics.
- Income Tax Preparers assist in-season with preparation of income tax returns for low-to-moderate income filers who qualify for free income tax preparation as part of the IRS-certified Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.
- Clerical Volunteers support a variety of office tasks essential to the day-to-day operations of the program.
Immigration Services - (409) 924-4413
- Clerical Volunteers help with different tasks around the office. Volunteers need to be bi-lingual, preferably with Spanish and English skills.
Parish Social Ministry - (409) 924-4415
- Third Age Day Celebration Volunteers help prepare for and assist with an annual celebration for senior citizens. The celebration is generally held on the third Tuesday in April.
- Parish Social Ministry Contacts in each parish. Parish Social Ministry Leadership Series workshops are held to train interested volunteers.
Around the Office - (409) 924-4411